[nagdu] stress, how much is too much?

Katrin Andberg katrin.andberg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 21:28:39 UTC 2012

I know a lot of guide dog users have sniffing 'problems' with their dogs, I
believe the brunt of those issues is stress showing up.  What I'd recommend
in those cases is working to counter condition in incompatible but
appropriate behavior the dog can do that would gain him the same stress
reducer or ability to stress reduce.  A common replacement behavior I tend
to default to for dogs is the dog turning his head to the handler.  If the
dog is turning his head to look at you, and not sniffing, he is giving you
an easily understood signal that he's getting stressed and needs to you help
him de-stress and intervene.  I can feel a head turn in harness, for some
you may need a gentle leader on your dog until you get the  hang of what it
feels like.

Katrin

Katrin Andberg

 <mailto:katrin at maplewooddog.com> katrin at maplewooddog.com