[nagdu] stress, how much is too much?

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Wed Nov 14 17:58:26 UTC 2012

Tracy,

Well, that's what makes the stress question so tricky. A sure fire sign
for one dog is just something another dog does without having to be
stressed. Once you begin to learn your dog's signals, it gets easier.
Mostly. /smile/

So Mitzi sniffs at one level just because it is rewarding. I do give her
sniff breaks when I stop for a break for myself, since it keeps her
happy and why not? So long as she is not being a sniff monster when she
is guiding me along, then it's all good. It's a heretical approach, I
know, but it's my approach. /lol/

Then again, if she turns obnoxious sniff monster when I'm not giving her
a sniff break, she's telling me that something is amiss. This would be a
good time for me to stop and figure out what it is. If I miss the
message, being too caught up in carping and whining about all the
sniffing, then she has other ways to get my attention. Monster guide!
She seems to keep me safe, but my way in life can get pretty unpleasant,
nonetheless. So I stop finally to get a grip on my temper and it
suddenly occurs to me to wonder what could possibly be up with this low
down scurvy cur I thought it was a good idea to bring along. /lol/

The problem isn't necessarily stress, and sometimes it's me. I will
still occasionally have back spasms that cause one leg to go numb and I
become unbalanced. But since it's numb, I don't notice. She does. Once I
figure it out and either work the spasm and get my spine back into place
or just adjust now that I know I'm not as coordinated as I think I am,
her head comes off the ground and she whips off slick as can be with a
big, smug poodle grin! Funny girl.

She shows me other signs of more major stress, and it's a good idea for
me to pay attention when stressful situations might be affecting her.
She's really pretty easy to jolly along if I catch the signs early and
just do those little bits and pieces and rituals that make her day. Of
course, when it's my stress (good, bad or ugly) she's picking up on, I'm
just not paying attention as I should or am skipping our rituals or
whatever. So I can find myself suddenly taking time out of my busy life
to bring her back to good. A stressed out poodle is a sad thing indeed,
and can reach total meltdown if it gets too bad. I live to keep that dog
happy!

At longer events, I do need to watch for certain signs and take extra
measures to coddle that wonderful but oddly delicate poodle temperament.
Of course, at those events, I also want to run around meeting and
greeting and chatting and attending and all the things we humans do at
such things, and I just want a perfect, no fuss guide while I'm doing
all this. My guide wants more fuss and reassurance and attention and
reward and all... If I remember to give her what she needs, things go
pretty well. If I get too caught up in my own rush and expectations, my
guide becomes increasingly not perfect. It's a balancing act, and you
think I would learn to just make sure I'm doing the little things as we
go. Hasn't happened! Really, all I have to do is be happy with her and
make sure she knows that. She's a complicated lady, but she's really
very easy.

Boredom is also a bummer for us... I can hear her, too, thinking "Brain
the size of a planet, and she has me..." /lol/ She loves to get out and
go and adventure and discover. This going to the grocery store to walk
up and down the aisles... Not so much. Boh-ring! /lol/

Tami