[nagdu] Stress

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Nov 14 20:29:27 UTC 2012

With Echo, I used to stop after every street crossing in New York City and
give her some pats and happy talk.  It helped her stay calm and confident.
I started to do the same with Ben, but he didn't seem to care for it.  A
senior trainer at TSE told me that, for some dogs, just trucking down the
road is rewarding in itself, and stopping is less rewarding.  So now I
give Ben a little pat after the crossing as we're walking, plus of course
an Atta boy! or two, and he's happy.
So the trick is to learn what each dog needs, and adapt to it.
Tracy