[nagdu] Fair Housing Act

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Nov 26 14:57:51 UTC 2012

I found this from the Delta Society:
*It is the responsibility of the person with the disability to request
any necessary reasonable accommodations necessary for tenancy.

An example of reasonable accommodation is modifying no-pet policies and
practices to support the right of a person with a disability to have a
service animal in a publicly or privately owned dwelling. Refusal to
permit an exception to a no-pets rule may constitute a discriminatory
practice when an individual with a disability is unable to use and enjoy
a dwelling, including entertaining guests with disabilities who require
the use of service animals.*

There is a lot more info on the page where I got the above quote:
http://www.deltasociety.org/page.aspx?pid=489
Of course this is technical guidance and not the Fair Housing Act
itself, but I'd consider it as reliable info.  Does anyone have reliable
info that states you do not have to inform the landlord of a service dog?

Julie