[nagdu] Allergies as a consideration in getting a guide dog

Brenda bjnite at windstream.net
Fri Oct 12 19:16:13 UTC 2012

I've been enjoying the posts on this list.  I've been reading Marsha's
blog which has provided valuable nuts and bolts info about GDF and what
it is like getting a guide dog from that school.  I now wish other
handlers would blog about there experiences at their schools because I'm
really learning a lot and the info is stuff that just can't be gotten
from a survey or asking questions as I might not always think of asking
what Marsha has put in her blog.

Rebecca, I love  your insight and reply to the allergy issue.  It is
something I'm seriously considering because although in my situation I
think a guide would work better for me than a cane, allergy issues is
one drawback.
That being said, what dogs are less likely to cause allergy issues and
does GDF train those types of dogs??  I don't have allergies myself, but
want to be ahead of the game in that if I can get a dog with less
allergy causing issues that would be good.  Fortunately, I have plenty
of time as my uncooperative pet dog is still with me.  I'm asking this
question so I can be prepared when it comes time to make the final
decision about a guide dog (and I'm curious as well).

Thanks for any input.
Brenda