[nagdu] Loud noises and Guide dogs

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Oct 19 12:44:03 UTC 2012

I rarely go to concerts or movies, but my dogs are around loud noises
and don't seem much bothered.  I've had them out around heavy farm
machinery and irrigation motors with no ill effects.  It's loud enough
that you have to be close to the person you are talking to and raise
your voice considerably.  Those aren't places we hang out for hours on
end, but stuff needs done and sometimes that involves it being loud.

I also live close to the park where the high school plays football.
When the home team scores they fire a cannon.  It's loud and sometimes
startles the dogs, especially if there aren't a lot of touchdowns, but
they recover quickly and I haven't noticed any lasting effects from it.

I've been at the middle school during a fire drill.  that noise is loud
enough to make your teeth vibrate.  Monty was not too impressed, but
fire drills and fire alarms are a part of life and he needs to be able
to deal.

Of course every dog and every handler is different and you need to do
what works for you.

Julie