[nagdu] Letters of Introduction

Robert Hooper hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Wed Sep 26 12:03:58 UTC 2012

Hello Kody:

When I applied to TSE last year, I meant to turn in a letter of interest, but never got around to it. However, I was able to specify during my home interview my breed preferences. Part of the home interview process is to get to know a bit more about your lifestyle, living environment, etc.; it isn't merely a suitability test. However, I believe TSE's instructions are something like "tell us anything you think we should know". I think they kept it deliberately vague. Here are some things to consider.
Have you ever been involved in a traffic-related accident--are you nervous about working in the street? What qualities did your previous guide have that you would/wouldn't like to see in your new one?
If you are a first-time dog user, what personality traits, energy level, etc. are you looking for and why?
Do you have allergies? Do you have anything in or around your home that you think may be relevant to mention (other dogs, cats, children, snakes, etc.).
Do you have any concerns about the training program?
Do you have any physical injuries from which you are currently recovering that may hinder your ability to work with a dog (sprained ankle, dislocated left shoulder, broken arm, recent surgery, etc.). Do you have any other physical disabilities that may be relevant to training or handling a dog? Any mental disabilities (ADHD, narcolepsy, etc.)?
Are you a student, a student with a job, a professional, stay-at-home dad, professional musician, painter, etc. What sort of environments do you expect to encounter on a regular basis? Do you have a fixed or changing routine?

Alright, there you have it. Once again, many, if not all, of these things can be expressed during the home interview process, but it doesn't hurt to get it on paper. And in regards to your worries about repeating yourself, feel free to repeat. I'm sure you will only be helping the staff know you a bit better, and they will be doing quite a bit of repeating once you get there. They aren't exactly like employers--they won't ding your written materials for every spelling or grammatical mistake you make, or any redundancies that may be present in your application or letter. They want to learn as much about you as possible so that they can (1) ensure your safety during and after training and (2) give you the best possible match that will bring you confidence and happiness as well as enhancing your mobility.
As a TSE graduate, I am happy to answer any questions you have about the school, its philosophy, or what have you. If you choose to attend TSE, there is an email list for TSE grads--just do a Google search for "The Seeing Eye Email list" and you will find it--you must have been accepted and have a class date in order to join, however.
I wish you the best of luck with whatever program you decide is right for you. And one more thing--cherish the moments from now until you get your dog--there's nothing like the roller-coaster ride of emotions and suspense that you will experience before getting your first pup.
Sincerely,
Robert Hooper
Hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
The Ohio State University, Department of Psychology; Department of Neuroscience
572 Stinchcomb Drive #3
Columbus, Ohio 43202
(740) 856-8195