[nagdu] teaching the public

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Sun Apr 7 17:34:23 UTC 2013

Hi Eve,
I've done lots of these things over all my years of guide dog use - 40 years
now.

Here's an embarrassing moment on one of them. LOL!  I was at a school with a
dog I had in the 1990s and the dog wasn't the world's best on over head
clearance. Actually, this skill is hard to teach the dogs.  Well, we were
outside and I was showing the kids how my dog avoided objects and we did
great until we encountered something horizontal just at my forehead level.
You guessed it - BAM!  Right into that thing and down I went.  The kids
started to laugh nervously and I kind of chucked and said, "Now, kids, that
was an example of what the dogs should watch out for but my dog made a
mistake. Like us humans, dogs can get inattentive as wwell."  I did get a
small lump on my head but all was fine.

That kind of thing only happened once in all the times I spoke before groups
about blindness and guide dogs.  Most of the time wwe were in the classroom
and the kids got to see my dogs take me around the tables and chairs.  I did
this awhile for the Humane Society Education Department but stopped because
it was hard to align my schedule with theirs and the topics covered.  So,
now I just do the pet therapy.

Eve, good luck on the educating you are doing.  I've done Lions Clubs and
some other groups but mostly kids in schools - especially when my nieces
were in elementary school.

Lyn and Landon
"Asking who's the man and who's the woman in an LGBT relationship is like
asking which chopstick is the fork" - Unknown