[nagdu] Guide Dogs in Condo swimming pools.

National Association of Guide Dog Users blind411 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 4 21:50:34 UTC 2013

Dear All,
	 I will do my best to answer these questions from my lay point of
view.As far as the question of whether or not a guide dog could be allowed
in a pool, the purpose of allowing a person access with their guide dog is
to allow them the independent travel tool of their choice. I know the dog
would be allowed on the pool deck, but I would think that it would not
extend to actually being in the pool. Service animals can be removed from an
entity if they pose a direct threat to the health or safety of others. I'm
not an expert on this issue, but I would bet it could be argued that the dog
in the pool could be construed as a direct threat.
	I don't know how much hair it would take to clog a pool drain, but I
would think a bunch of humans likely shed more hair in a pool than one dog.
	I have never belonged to a condo or homeowners' association, but it
is my understanding that the policies of the association are written into
bylaws that are approved by the association members. Such associations
cannot make bylaws or policies that conflict with local, state, or federal
law.
	As for the question of whether or not a life guard would be in any
way responsible or liable for any personal or property damage caused by a
service dog, on this point the law is very clear. Federal law makes the
handler of the service dog responsible for any damage caused by the dog.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala