[nagdu] Petition to ask the US Department of Justice to take action to stop fraudulent use of service dog ID or gear.

National Association of Guide Dog Users blind411 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 16 13:49:18 UTC 2013

William,
	I think it would serve us better if each state would enact penalties
criminalizing the deceptive assertion that an animal is a service animal.
Most states have similar statutes that read something like, "It is unlawful
for anyone not legally blind to carry in a raised or extended position a
cane that is white or white tipped in red." Perhaps the clause could read,
"It is unlawful for any person to fraudulently assert that an animal is a
service animal under federal law." I fear that the prohibition of selling
service animal gear may limit the availability of such gear to those of us
wishing alternatives to that gear issued by the training program. One of the
provisions training programs hold over the heads of their consumers is the
retention of ownership of the guide dog gear and the right to repossess that
gear. At the same time, I would agree that there could be a crack-down on
the sale of service animal identification cards and other such
documentation, similar to those prohibiting counterfeit state and federal
identification. Just my opinion!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala