[nagdu] Petition to ask the US Department of Justice to take action to stop fraudulent use of service dog ID or gear.

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Fri Aug 16 16:46:08 UTC 2013

Marion,

Yes, dealing meaningfully with the people fraudulently passing off their
pets as service dogs would go much further, I think, to stem the problem.

So would education of businesses about their right to remove a dog that
is misbehaving. Any dog, doesn't matter if it is a service dog. If even
our dogs are out of line and we can't deal with it, then out they go! If
the dog causes damage, then we pay for it! I use my own dog to get the
point across when I am educating, since it does seem to cause lightbulbs
to flicker fitfully. Businesses do not have to be afraid of service dogs
or that the dog eating food off the fine white linen is a service dog or
anything like that. I would recommend they get video of the misbehavior,
then have the dog removed.

I am going to have to start pointing out that the phrase "fake service
dog gear" is absolutely meaningless. It's just stuff. It has nothing to
do with public access and never has. So there is no such thing as "real
service dog gear." Ignore it. If a dog is wearing a patch, then there is
a dog with a patch. Has nothing to do with whether the person may bring
the dog into your business and does not give the person a legal pass and
does not make it legal for the person to let the dog tear things up.

I think all this hoopla over the gear really just increases the confusion.

I also find it pretty rich that programs like CCI are driving that
bandwagon. Who has been passing out nifty ID cards and telling their
grads to show them to people as proof of their right to bring their
service dogs in? Who puts all those little patches and capes on the dogs
so that people will know they are service dogs and can come into places
of public access? Who has really caused the problem by misinforming
business and the general public all these years? So those of us who know
our legal rights and will not use ID or accept being asked for it have
two problems. We have to keep educating around the misinformation while
some fool with a service dog patch on his pet just waltzes right in.

It gets old.

It also gets old, I will add, hearing all about how it's the fakes and
frauds that behave badly and cause problems for real service dog users.
Well, also, it's owner-trainers who are just plain irresponsible and
don't know what they are doing, of course not.

Meanwhile, a lot of us have had to deal with program dogs. I'm not the
only one who is not worried about Fluffy because Fluffy has never done a
dang thing to me. It's the dog from whatever the bleep training program
that is in my experience likely to be a problem for me and my dog. It's
dogs from training programs that have nearly cost me my guide and her
training more than once. And resulted in my having to do *a lot* of
retraining to use my guide in places of public accommodation. I'm not
the only service dog user out there who is really tired of putting up
with that.

If folks know and will apply the law to deal with problem dogs --
regardless of service dog status -- then we can possibly hope for fewer
problem dogs when we go into places of public accommodation.

Tami