[nagdu] studying abroad in France this summer

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 04:54:05 UTC 2013

Hi Laurel.  First of all, good for you for making the decision to
bring your dog to Paris with you!  I got the opportunity to go to
Germany after highschool, and I did not take my dog for a number of
reasons.  One of them had to do with the access laws not covering the
sister school we were going to spend most of our time.  So I think you
should definitely check out the access laws where you will be going.
You should also work it out with the people you are staying with.  One
of the other reasons I did not take my dog was because my host family
refused to have a dog in their house, and the program wouldn't fix it.
 It was not an ideal situation.  You probably know all of this, but
just in case...

I know in Germany the access laws were pretty similar to how they are
here.  Guide dogs are granted access to public transportation and
public places.  I will warn you though.  In Germany there were a lot
of dogs in malls and stores, so you may encounter that in France.  I
don't know.

I am actually very interested to hear about how your trip goes for
both of you.

--
Julie McG
National Association of Guide dog Users board member,  National