[nagdu] nfb quiz

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Thu Feb 14 19:40:56 UTC 2013

I don't know about the conventions after 2001 when I went to it.  Back then,
there were FAR more cane users.  Every time I turned arouond, several long
canes were extended out to become a tripping hazard for me and my dog.  My
dog - Jake at the time - wasn't fazed by all the canes.

I have heard that blind folks are about 1% of the disability population.
Most of the blind are elderly who generally don't use canes or dogs as most
have some vision or who don't travel on their own.  Of the blind folks who
travel independently, only a small portion of this population uses guide
dogs.

This is what has been told to me.  Anyone have actual statistics?

Just in my daily being out and about in San Diego, I hardly even encounter
blind people - ones with canes and fewer with guide dogs.  I see most blind
people at places like our Blind Community Center or the Center for the
Blind.  I ask people if they encounter blind people much and most say no.

I think it is for this reason that when we encoounter curious people on the
bus or in a store, we are unusual to them.  They want to approach us because
we have a dog whereas they will just stay away from a cane user.

To us, it looks like a whole pile of nosey folks who intrude on our privacy.
And that is because we are with a blind guide dog user 24/7 and 365 days a
year - ourselves!  Hard to leave ourselves behind to get a break! LOL!

Lyn and Landon
"Asking who's the man and who's the woman in an LGBT relationship is like
asking which chopstick is the fork" - Unknown