[nagdu] clicker training

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Tue Feb 19 21:25:49 UTC 2013

Rebecca,

I'll put that video on the to do list... Or not. Her little game is a
crowd pleaser, but not kind to my ego! /lol/

Don't be too hard on yourself, though, for not bucking the accepted
wisdom of back in the day... A lot of the currently available
information floating around on the internet now was still in its
infancy. I was lucky to find owner-trainers on this list, then
directions to Ann's vi-clicker-training list, which was a godsend!
Turned out there were quite a few owner-trainers scattered about, a lot
them with tons of experience and knowledge and the ability to write well
about it for the newbies. /smile/ It's easier to have confidence in the
impossible thing you want to do when you find out there are others
already doing it, especially when they will take time out to explain it
to you and teach you how! /smile/

I do think it's cool that the programs are catching on to clicker
training and more of a positive training/handling framework. Although I
do wonder about gatherings of clicker-using guide dog users as more and
more take to it. /lol/ Then again, clicker training is so much more
common just in general, that I've managed to be clicking away in Petco
while someone else was clicking away at their dog nearby. Teehee. The
dogs seem to figure out which click is for them. But I still like the
mental image of a crowded conference room full of cheerfully clicking
guide dog handlers.

Tami