[nagdu] airport training

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sun Jan 20 16:44:54 UTC 2013

Julie,

Ah. Well, my general view of the very notion of just putting the dog in
a sit or down stay and walking through, then calling the dog, is
strongly flavored by my particular dog. She knows what the words mean...
But I was really thrilled with her progress when she would allow me to
walk as far as 10 paces away... So long as I remained in her line of
sight! The velcro on that dog is industrial grade! So stay remains her
greatest weakness on the list of things every knows all guide dogs do
perfectly. /lol/ Somehow in my travels with a guide, I haven't really
had occasion to need that, so stopped fussing it. But when someone says
"I just put my dog in a down stay..." my hair stands on end picturing
Mitzi in that dog's place and the trouble that might ensue! Actually,
she would just follow me, grinning and wagging, which everyone would
think was cute... Sigh. Going through a security checkpoint, though, I'm
pretty sure the security folks would not fall for the cute with some
fool poodle on the loose while they're trying to do their jobs. /lol/

Well, as others have pointed out, there's a lot of preference involved
in how we each manage the same challenge. And, of course, we each know
ourselves and our dogs.

Then, of course, it takes experience to teach some of us those little
added things to consider besides what the dog is doing... Say, don't
wait until your carry on is whooshing into the x-ray machine to remember
that you need the cane that is inside it to get through the security
machine yourself. /lol/ Or to realize that the most important tool is a
thorough knowledge of your rights and the rules and ... Which you may
think you have and discover something just came up you never thought to
make sure of... And since your copy of the rules is in the carry on with
your cane... And so on. /lol/ Well, pulling that one is so me... And
naturally, I was going all out with just being me when I happened to
catch those agents who decided it was time to get authoritarian and
safety-conscious with the idiot blind woman with the poodle. So I had
added to my own difficulties already by being absent-minded. I'm still
nervous about security checks after all this time... But I have learned
many things not to assume or forget in my bag! /lol/

Tami