[nagdu] How long is "successful"

Meghan Whalen mewhalen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 12:55:45 UTC 2013

I agree that success is very difficult to define.

Even though I have had four dogs in just under eight years, all of my
dogs have been incredibly successful. I mean, they have all done their
jobs very well. As far as training goes, they were sound and in no way
would I complain. There is then the matter of health/genetic soundness
to look at, and in one situation, the Seeing Eye did give me my
successor dog for free, because they felt responsible for what had happened.

Jade, my first guide, worked for 19 months. She retired with two
different eye conditions. She had panis and corneal spotting. She
started startling at obstacles on her left side, and she favored taking
the right-hand route whenever possible. Panis is genetic, so TSE gave me
my second dog free of charge.

Kirby was also a fantastic guide. She never missed a beat. Sure, we had
our typical new dog struggles, but we got through them, and she was such
a perfect lady. At about five years of age, I noticed her starting to
get shaky and unsure while working at times. I was having to encourage
her to work all of the way up into curbs. I guess I just figured it was
something with her getting a little older, as she had always been
sensitive. I took her in for routine eye exams, and she had cataracts.
There was a lot of back and forth and uncertainty as to if they were
causing her problems, but her work continued to decline. I admitted to
myself that her vision was being compensated when she walked right under
several tables at a restaurant and only realized when my arm hit the
table. She took all of her mistakes very personally, so it was unfair to
ask her to keep working when it was making her so upset every time she
made a working error. Kirby retired in July of 2011 when she was about
six and a half. I still consider her a success, though. Her cataracts
were early onset age related, so I don't really think that was
genetics...just bad luck.

Dayton, my third guide was fantastic. I raised and trained him from just
twelve weeks of age. We worked together until this March. In December,
he was attacked by loose dogs, and he never could really recover. He had
been interfered with several times by other dogs, and those times had
set him on edge, but positive interactions with other dogs were able to
set him back on track. After the attack, though, he was physically ill
any time he had to work around other dogs. He was very nervous and
afraid to even be in the same room as another well-trained guide. It
took him over eight hours to get used to and feel secure about other
service dogs who were completely ignoring him. I retired him for many
reasons. When I decided to owner-train, I promised myself that I would
only work my dog as long as he could behave to the same standard as a
well-trained dog from a program. I was never going to use my love for
him or the fact that I trained him as an excuse for anything.

I now have Vrona, a little female shepherd from Seeing Eye, and she, too
is a wonderful little worker. I see no reason right now why she won't
work for years to come. I consider her a successful match. I can't
predict the future, and I sure hope that many years of the future have
her at my side. I don't think I have the heart to go through another
short working career with a dog.

Still, my point is, I had 1 dog who worked for 19 months, 1 for a little
over 4 years and 1 for almost 2 years; incredibly short careers, but
very successful as far as doing their jobs. Jade could be considered
unsuccessful due to genetics, but I still am unsure as to if I wouldn't
consider her a success. Jade, Kirby and Dayton probably all would have
worked until they were old and grey if circumstances other than their
training hadn't gotten in the way.

And, in closing, if you made it this far, here is a poem I recently
wrote about all of the transitions I have been through with my dogs.

Here she is, your brand new guide,
the first to match you stride for stride.
Her beauty striking, her eyes so kind,
When she is leading, relax your mind.
She loves her job, and it is true,
That through her guiding, she'll love you, too.
Nineteen short months, too soon goodbye,
One last hug, you're too strong to cry.
And here she comes, your second girl,
all wags and joy, a precious pearl.
She loves you deeply, you make her complete,
With grace and dignity, you two will defeat,
Coast to coast, sidewalk and hall,
Campus, trails, bustling shopping malls.
With silken coat and nuzzling nose,
She walked away, and the door did close.
He stumbled in with a puppy's tread,
meant for another, but he was your third instead.
Your second girl helped you raise him steady and wise,
and with pride and gusto, he became your eyes.
You taught him sit, come, stay and down,
Left, now right, easy, take me around,
Together you grew into a beautiful team,
built on deepest love, the reality of a dream.
And when he left, so young and spry,
You reached down deep, just one more try,
so here she is, your number four,
Young and eager, go more more more!
Fourth to guide you, but still number one,
for each team created is a miracle done.
So hold her close, let her soak up your tears,
for though she is new, she can feel deep your fears.
Love her deeply, forever and strong,
Assure  you both that she comes along,
for the turning of pages, for the passing of time,
A decade of devotion, for you're both in your prime.
Eight short years have passed since that first dog arrived,
and we know your heart's broken, we know that you strive,
To not be afraid, to give it your all,
But always remember that sometimes we fall,
and your new girl will be there, this eager new pup,
She'll wait here patiently, and she will pick you back up.
Together you'll grow, your bond will be tight,
and with the pair you're becoming, there's no end in site.
Meghan