[nagdu] question on conventions in general

Daniel daniel.sweeney1 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 29 18:14:19 UTC 2013

Hi all, here I go again,

I have noticed that quite a few folks on the list seem to know each other
pretty well. Whether this is just from communicating on the list or from
meeting at schools or conventions.

There are a lot of you at convention this year, and this is probably not
your first.

Could you tell me what you do exactly at these conventions? I am curious
about what you have learned at past ones. I know that there are many vendors
from blindness related companies and representatives from related
organizations, but am not sure what past themes have been, and what has been
gained from these conventions.

I plan on checking out the live feed from the NFB which is available on
their website. The content only says "general discussion", so I am not sure
what their lectures will be about. I assume NAGDU will be present
information on advocacy, training issues and the like.

I was too late in learning about the convention in Florida to make plans to
attend. I have never attended any ACB, NFB, or guide dog related conference
of any kind, and am curious about what the experience is like, and what you
come away with.

We are in the process of organizing a Colorado chapter of NAGDU, and
hopefully I will learn more about the people and the organization in
general.

I know some of you on the list remember my experiences with my last dog.
After retiring him I didn't think I would ever get another guide dog. When I
made the decision to do so a year later, it was with much trepidation. After
getting Cass I know I made the best decision I could have ever made. I now
have the confidence that I can travel somewhere and not worry about my
safety.

Anyway, if you could share a bit of your experiences it would be
appreciated.

If this is not considered appropriate for list traffic, you can email me off
list.

Thanks,

Daniel and Cass

Lakewood, Colorado