[nagdu] Private club exemption

Dailyah dailyahpatt at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 9 03:28:00 UTC 2013

Yes.**  Truly private clubs are exempt from having to allow guide dogs or any other kind of service do.

I'm not sure that you are actually talking about what I mean when I use the term private club, though.  I am talking about something like a country club or a secret society's building) Are you talking about the kinds of student-run clubs that meet on campuses, but they are invitation only?  (I'm thinking the alumni restaurant is a unique situation, so I'm not positive what you're asking.  Apologies!  If you can be patient with me and clarify your question, I'll do my best to give you the right answer.)

**Unless the "club" is meeting in a building owned by a University that receives Federal and/or State funding...I'm not positive what happens in that case, but I doubt the dog can be excluded from a building the government helps pay for in any way.  I'm pretty sure that's a big no-no.  I would need to check with the ProBoneO Program's head Legal Beagle to get a more definitive answer if one is actually needed.

Should we take this off-list or are people interested?

Dailyah