[nagdu] Greeting in Harness WAS Re: am proud of my four-legged furry son

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Fri May 10 02:37:07 UTC 2013

Debbie,

It's so cool how well you and Leone are doing with that. Now, if you can
have a few words with Mitzi about kitty distractions? /grin/

Sarah, I know how easy it is. especially at first, to let your dog get
into greeting other dogs, since it seems harmless... I've been guilty,
then wondered why my dog was being a brat... Oh. Then again, just a day
ago, I myself was dog distracted by a labbie puppy... Dog's trained; I
am not! /lol/

Since I use positive reinforcement, complete with food reward, which
you've mentioned your trainer has told you not to do, I don't have much
to offer in terms of how I've worked with Mitzi on distraction issues. I
redirect and move her forward, which is what works best with her, then I
click and treat! Or just praise now, since she's an old hand. That's
when I don't get dog distracted myself, of course. Sigh. With kitties, I
have to do the whole trainer routine, since apparently we cannot take a
leisurely walk around the block without kitties coming up to us to greet
the dog. Gotta love country life. /lol/ But Mitzi adores kitties, so
when they come to touch noses with her, it kinda unravels her brains.

What Debbie says about getting the dog's attention on you and maybe
doing obedience exercises to help refocus and calm the dog works really
well, too, especially since it sounds like that is the way your dog was
trained. It may seem like you're having to do a lot of it at first to
get Wizard back into remembering to stay on task so that you can just
keep going.

Tami