[nagdu] Off leash recall

minh ha minh.ha927 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 03:49:13 UTC 2013

I agree that when dogs are busy goofing off, their off leash recall
isn't that great because they are busy playing. I got really loud tags
on Viva so I can always tell where she is at any point in time. I
think one thing my trainer emphasized is calling them back to you
periodically, every five minutes or so and giving them treats as a
positive reinforcement. If all fails, you can always try pretending to
leave--if your dog is attached to you, this will make them come
running to you right away. Off leash recall is one thing I'm still
trying to work with Viva too. She will come to me when she's being
goofy, but she will play keep away instead of coming directly to me.
It's kind of annoying, but it's not something they learn overnight.
Also, trainers have a million things they need to work with the dogs
on and usually it's guiding work, not something as simple as off leash
recall. I think that's one aspect left for the puppy raisers as they
have more play interaction with the dogs.