[nagdu] Off leash recall

Sherry Gomes sherriola at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 15:15:12 UTC 2013

Most of my dogs have had pretty good off leash recall. One dog could be
absolutely trusted outside in a non fenced area, and so can Olga now. But
Bianca, my retired guide had the worst recall. If she was outside, she would
not come till she was darn good and ready to do so. This was what finally
sold me on food rewards, because treats could often get her to come and
saved her life at least once I'm sure. But it was still a struggle. Then a
field manager from GDB took me aside and gave me some advice that really
worked. Normally, they tell us to use a warm happy sweet voice to call them
supposedly makes them want to come. But it didn't matter how sweet I sounded
Bianca just would not come. So, this person was working with me in a fenced
area and he said:

I'm going to break protocol. I don't think you should make yourself sound so
happy and sweet. With Bianca, you need to become a drill sergeant. You need
to make her feel like she had better get her little rear over to you, or
else.

So, I took a deep breath and said loudly and sternly, though not yelling,
Bianca come!

She came and I praised the heck out of her and gave her some carrots, which
are her favorite treats. It took a long long time and lots of consistent
work, but she now comes easily, most of the time. I have a fenced yard and
it's nice to know that she will come to me when I need her to, though I'm
always cautious that people are sure the gate is latched when they come to
my door.

Now the GDB puppy raisers are supposed to practice off leash recall with
food rewards. When I was applying for retraining, I told them that off leash
recall, consistent and reliable recall was an absolute must. And Olga is
everything I wanted in almost every way, and especially her recall.

Sherry