[nagdu] Standoff

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sun Sep 29 13:17:34 UTC 2013

I felt like this when I got Ben.  He is a lab, but he has shepherd traits,
or even cat traits.  He doesn't wag a lot.  He almost never asks for
attention.  He was particularly aloof when we first met, but I think that
was because he's really very loyal, in his quiet way, and he didn't know me.
He doesn't give his heart easily, but, when he does, it's given all the way.
I'm sure he gave his loyal heart to his raisers, and they left him, then to
his trainer, and she left him.  Then here was this stranger, trying to buddy
up to him.
I thought he hated me, at first.  But finally, when we got our pictures for
the ID and class picture, the trainer took him away a minute for a solo
picture for his raisers, and he came racing back to me and jumped on me.
"They took me away, but now I'm back!"
It was an adjustment, getting used to such a solitary dog.  He has times
when he wants to be petted, like first thing in the morning, and I take full
advantage of those times.  I also just pet him sometimes, even when he's
acting like a stuffed animal.  My husband calls that "bugging Ben".
Anyway, my advice is to keep him nearby, give him the occasional pat, and
more when he wants more.  He may just be taking his time, sizing you up,
seeing if you're the real deal, or just another person passing through his
life.
Good luck.
Tracy