[nagdu] Therapy dog, not service dog, was A CCB resolution on changes to have certificationfor service dogs

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Apr 3 12:21:56 UTC 2014

Hi Daryl.
What your mother is talking about is rightly called a therapy dog.  Therapy
dogs have to pass a Canine Good Citizen test, and then they can go into
hospitals and other places to help with various things.  Therapy dogs are a
fine thing, but they're not service dogs, which have been trained to do some
task to help with their handler's disability.  There seems to be some
general confusion between the 2 terms. A therapy dog handler does not have
any access rights for the therapy dog.  He or she can bring the dog only to
the places where it has been agreed they will work.

The only good thing I see in the CCB's resolution is to work on educating
people about service dogs.
Tracy