[nagdu] Problems with dog panic attack when flying

lizzy lizzym0827 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 16:10:16 UTC 2014

Bobette,
Yes, I have experienced this and it is not fun! I called my
school about it and they suggested I give my dog an all natural
relaxer to help calm her down.  I don't know if she didn't eat it
all, if I didn't give her enough or what, but the first time I
tried it, I had no results.  I tried it again on my way back home
from the trip and she sat up and looked around in the beginning
and then finally fell asleep.  The trick in addition to using a
relaxer, is to not coddle the dog.  You can talk to it of course,
but just be sure you're not encouraging the behavior in any way.
I was firm with her the entire time and kept the leash in my hand
close to (or sometimes on) the collar so that I could stop her
before she attempted to bolt.  I was also sure to keep her tucked
firmly  between both legs in case she tried to get under my seat.
It seemed that she was headed for the doors of the plane so that
she could make a quick escape, which obviously was not going to
happen in the air.  Knowing this helped me because I could
anticipate where I should be prepared to block her.  The whole
thing was such a pain, but if you can get some relaxer to calm
your dog down, I think it will help tremendously.  Right now,
take offs and landings are still tough, but it's way better than
dealing with hyperventilating and attempts to escape the entire
ride.  Hopefully our dogs will get better with more exposure.
HTH,
Lizzy
P.S.  I'd be interested in hearing the suggestions you received
from your school as well if you're willing to share.