[nagdu] Poodles

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 15:48:45 UTC 2014

Whether a dog needs its anal glands expressed has nothing to do with
breed and everything to do with toxicity, deep set glands, and
regularly soft stool. At least that has been my observation after
working with dogs of various breeds, ages, and states of health or
unhealth. Toxins from the diet, and topical and injectable poisons
build up in the glands. Deep set anal glands are difficult to express
naturally when the dog  has regularly soft stool from its poor diet
and substandard bowel function. It all creates the recipe for needing
manual gland expression.
The Golden Guy used to need his anal glands expressed every 6 weeks.
After I switched him to a species appropriate diet and abandoned our
toxic lifestyle of vaccines, pesticides, and poisonous cleaning and
grooming supplies, he no longer needs manual gland expression.

On 8/4/14, Craig Heaps via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> I would agree with this.  I have a black Lab as a guide.  My wife has a
> standard poodle as a pet.
>
> The downside of each?  The Lab sheds (even though I brush him every day and
>
> use a Furminator on him once a week.)  The poodle has to go to the groomer
> every month or two.  And my wife has to comb him out in between.  It takes
> me five minutes to groom the Lab.  It seems to take her forever to comb out
>
> the poodle.
>
> And for the poodle, it's not just the fur.  They also have to express his
> anal glands or he can have problems.
>
> As with most things in life, pluses and minuses for both.
>
> Craig and Chase

Raven
"if God didn't make it, don't eat it." - John B. Symes, D.V.M.
http://dogtorj.com