[nagdu] Breeds for successor

Karyn & Thane bcpaws4me at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 04:28:40 UTC 2014

I appreciate all this input. There are a few breeds mentioned here that I
will do more research on. Others I have NO interest in or at least not this
time around as I consider my entire situation.

This go around I am really interested in a breed/ dog that is more
resilient, easier to train than BCs (smart for sure, but not always easy if
you make a goof or need to further training/ change how things are being
done), and where its not so much on their terms LOL

I have loved both my BC boys. They have taught me a ton as a trainer and
handler and more than I wish they had medically, but I am ready to have a
dog that I can pick up the harness, head out the door and not need to walk
three miles every single day rain or shine before its settled enough to
really be focused. I like a dog who likes to walk for sure, but need the
ability to actually work the dog based on needs I have to fulfill my
obligations as well.

I love Golden Retrievers but want to keep my mind open also to choosing my
successor candidate based on the qualities of the dogs I have to choose from
as opposed to breed.

Some of the breeds mentioned are just too much dog (size or grooming wise)
I've lowered my height requirement after seeing some good 22 1/2 - 23 inch
dogs recently. I dont want a dog too tall either which some of the breeds
mentioned are when full grown but you've given me some options to work with
which I appreciate.

White Shepherds can be awesome. I worked with a trainer after Met's first
attack in California who had a beautiful white shepherd-- too timid for
service work, but a nice dog. Granted all breeds will have those rare (or
not so rare) individuals who just are not confidant enough for the job.

Karyn and Thane