[nagdu] living in dorms with a dog

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 16:38:46 UTC 2014

Your average dorm room is barely large enough for 2 people. Having a
roommate and a dog would be very stressful. You need room enough to
play with your dog, and not have the added worry of your dog getting
into your roommate's things, or your roommate respecting the rules of
the relationship between dog and handler.
When I started college, I was given a room to myself. I told my
college that I had a good amount of expensive technology that I
wouldn't want to worry about anyone tampering with, so I was given my
own room and not required to pay more than I would if I had a
roommate. I still shared a suite with two girls, sharing a bathroom
with my neighbors, but the dorm room was my space. When I returned to
college with the Golden Guy halfway through my sophomore year, the
accommodations didn't change, but I did have them move almost half the
furniture out of the room.
Having lived in on-campus apartments for the past 1 and a half years,
I had several different roommates. All of them have worked out nicely,
despite me not being familiar with all of them. Everyone's been
respectful of my dog, and he is not the type to get into things, so
those cohabitations have been peaceful.