[nagdu] Retired Guides; Do the same access laws apply?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Dec 31 17:24:49 UTC 2014

I have seen guide dogs, not retired, who shouldn't have been wherever they
were at the time, because they were a poor example of how guide dogs should
behave.  I've seen a dog whine and cry through an entire dinner theater
show.    I've been to many conventions where dogs pooped on the floor from
stress.  I've heard dogs barking like mad in hotel rooms.  I've been around
dogs who scarfed up any tidbit of food within reach.

If a dog shouldn't be someplace, I don't think it has much to do with a
label like "retired".  I think it's about how the dog is behaving and if
it's providing a service.  There are certainly young dogs that struggle with
behavior and doing their job and there are older, "retired" dogs that could
easily manage to be well behaved and do the job in specific circumstances.
Of course that's setting aside issues of health or why the dog was retired
in the first place.  And that is really the heart of the issue...why the dog
was retired and how that interferes with the possibility of limited working.

Applying a label like, "retired" changes nothing.  If a dog is out in public
working, then legally it is a service dog so long as it is mitigating the
handler's disability.  It makes no difference if the only place the dog ever
goes is to the ladies quilt club once per month or if the dog goes places
three times a day every day.  The law says nothing about frequency of work.
After all there is a huge variance in the amount of work that guide dogs get
depending on the particular lifestyle and needs of the handler.

The public thinks all sorts of odd and random things about guide dogs.  I've
stopped worrying about it.  I am currently working two guides,
interchangeably, depending on what I'm doing, where I'm going and who got to
go last time is how I pick who goes next time.  I do this because it meets
my needs at this time.  I am not skipping out on paying a pet deposit.  I am
not getting anything for free or extra privileges of any variety.

I think there's a huge difference between switching back and forth between
dogs and misrepresenting a dog that isn't working as a service dog.

JMHO
Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC
Visit my new website on developing courage and living authentically:
http://www.falling-up.com