[nagdu] Age of Qualifying Guide Dogs

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 17:49:53 UTC 2014

Julie,
I like your idea of easing a dog into fulltime work. I think it's an
unconventional, but rather practical and sensible concept. Many guide
dogs, no matter the age, are not afforded that opportunity. They just
go from working for an hour or 2 each day to working fulltime and I'm
sure that contributes to some of the stress on both dog and handler.
I know of a New Yorker who got a dog. They seemed well-match. This guy
was constantly on the go, and he received an adorable ball of energy.
After he got home, I guess he asked way too much of his dog. It seemed
that he wanted to resume the fast-paced, here there and everywhere
lifestyle he'd had before without taking time and consideration to
acclimate his dog to his home, familiar routes, lifestyle, and
routine. The dog stressed out and started ignoring cues while working.
The dog was returned, and fortunately placed with someone else a
couple months later. But it was a great lesson to this guy to ease his
dog into such a rigorous work routine.
Being an energetic dog on the go is fine, but being an energetic dog
on the go, and working is a different thing, and it wears on a dog.
And it's a lot to expect so immediately for some dogs.