[nagdu] Discrimination Under the Golden Arches

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Tue Jul 15 22:50:01 UTC 2014

I debated about sending this, but in the interests of discourse...
IMHO, I think this whole situation was handled poorly all the way across.

1) The first employee had no right to say that dogs were not allowed in the McDonalds, and once they were apprised they were guide dogs, that should have been that. Kudos should be given to the female employee who obeyed the law and let Mary and Marion enjoy their meal (forgive me if I read the article incorrectly).

2) The run-around between employees and the "manager" (who may or may not speak English) - say what? I completely understand the frustration here, largely due to lack of apology and accurate information as to who was really in charge.  If she was the manager, she should have taken her employee to task and been respectful and apologetic herself; if she wasn't, then that's a whole other can of worms.

3) Bob Conigliaro, the VP of Marketing for Casper's surprised me; no matter what, it is the law that service dogs are allowed, period. Unless Mary and Marion went into the kitchen, no employee had the right to deny access. Some apology should have been given for the action and poor leadership of the manager. However...

4) I have watched this video several times, and I cannot disagree with bob Conigliaro's assessment that there was some browbeating going on.  While I completely understand the frustration, and the fact that education of employees is clearly needed, when one of the first things said was "I'm going to educate you" I took a step back and my hackles were raised. I am not an employee, and fully apprised of the rights of service dog handlers, and HAVE been discriminated against, and think that perhaps an apology may have been more forthcoming if a bit more diplomacy was used.  I do think there is a time to be angry and a time to let things go, but IMHO this situation as outlined lay somewhere in the middle.

Getting ready to be tarred and feathered,

Daryl and Jenny