[nagdu] Do Dogs Get Lonely?

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Thu Jul 24 18:21:23 UTC 2014

Larry,

I'm so sorry about Pez.

I think yes, they do. They are pack animals, very social, so the loss of
a pack member affects them. You can see from the behavior that they are
aware something is missing and order is not what it should be. Whether
the emotional experience is truly like what we call loneliness can be
debated all day long, since they can't explain it in a way we can
understand.

When we had Daisy put down, with Mitzi in attendance, it was interesting
to watch her reaction. While Wayne was paying, Mitzi seemed to just want
to sniff around the waiting area, which she always wants to do, but she
was more intent about it. I wondered if she got that Daisy went to sleep
and was gone and knew what all the tears were about or not.

When we got home, she started acting like Daisy. It was like she *was*
Daisy in poodle form. She was also being very diligent about being Mitzi
and nearly exhausted herself trying to fill both roles for her weepy
humans. Very strange. Getting her out for some work and to the park to
re-establish her role reassured her, and she remained attentive to my
husband as he grieved but settled down into being an only dog. Then we
brought home a puppy a few weeks later, so there went all of that
individual attention Mitzi was getting used to.

My thoughts are with your family after the loss of such an important member.

Tami