[nagdu] preparing for my first guide dog

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Jun 23 16:41:22 UTC 2014

Hi Barb.
What you say sounds right, but one of my classmates at TSE had never had a
dog, and really was a bit scared of them, I think.  She was also a very
dramatic person, a born opera diva.  TSE gave her a dog who wasn't rattled
by drama, and apparently, didn't mind if her person was nervous.
At the beginning of class, we were laughing at her for having kinippchins
when her dog licked her, and, by the end, she was getting to be OK with
it.  So, I think if you're honest about your worries, the trainers will
look for a dog who can cope.
It seems to me that some people who aren't used to dogs try treating the
dog like a cane or a robot, and I don't think that's right, but most do
just fine.
Tracy