[nagdu] preparing for my first guide dog

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 12:37:59 UTC 2014

I have 2 years under my belt of working my 1st guide dog, a golden
male from GEB. The Golden guy inspired me to enter the field of dog
training, and for just over a year, I have trained dogs using positive
reinforcement. So I definitely don't have as much experience with
guide dogs as others do, but in a relatively short time , I have
gained a great deal of experience training and caring for dogs of
various breeds, temperaments, backgrounds, and life stages.
The Golden Guy is my first dog ever as well, so I was where you are
now when I applied to get my guide dog. Before I got him, I was not a
dog person. I didn't dislike dogs, but I wasn't ga-ga about them
either. And now I work with them; tell me how that happened!
As someone who considered my cane a body part, you can imagine the
transition from cane to dog was incredibly difficult and stressful for
me. I struggled to recognize and learn my dog's body language. It took
so much time to learn to properly communicate with my dog. I struggled
to figure out alternative ways to receive feedback or tactile
information from my environment.  It took roughly 6 months before I
could completely trust my dog. I blame it on the fact that most guide
dog instructors have no background in orientation and mobility
training, or at least most of the ones I have encountered don't.
 What would have helped me tremendously was a description and/or a
demonstration of what different movements feel like through the
harness. What does it feel like when my dog is pulling left? What does
it feel like when my dog is pushing me to the right? What does
obstacle avoidance feel like? What does it feel like when my dog is
distracted? Really basic things like that would have helped me. There
were so many times when I thought my dog was distracted when he was
just doing his job. There were too many times where I second-guessed
him, and didn't have a clue how I could check his work. I taught my
dog a lot of landmarks in the beginning just so I could check his work
and make sure he was staying on route.
When the heavy snow hit here, I was forced to trust the Golden Guy.
And what solidified r working partnership the most was construction
season. There is probably not a more trying circumstance for a team
than having to work through a city under construction on an almost
daily basis for an entire summer. We encountered construction cones,
blocked off sidewalks, missing sidewalks, and streets that were half
gone. Nothing solidifies your trust in your dog like a moment when
you're crossing the street, your dog stops, and you put your foot out
in front of you, only to find there's absolutely nothing there. Time
to turn around!
Here are the things I wish I would have known before I got a guide dog.
1. Leash corrections are useless 99% of the time that you want to or
are instructed to use them. Leash corrections only tell a dog that
he's done something wrong, it doesn't tell him what he's supposed to
do. Just imagine you're in a typing class, and you are instructed to
put your hands on the home row. By mistake, you place your fingers on
the row just above it, and as a result, your teacher slaps you across
the hands with a yard stick. Now, don't you think that could be
handled better? Don't you think it would be more productive for the
teacher to simply show you which row is the correct one, and allow you
to try again? Apply this thought process when it comes to dulling out
the leash corrections. When your dog does something wrong or
inappropriate, do not default to the leash correction. Instead, show
him what you want him to do, and make it rewarding for him.
2. Question and research everything the so-called professionals say.
It doesn't matter what degrees, certification, or experience a person
has, that does not mean they know everything, or that what they know
is right, or right for you. For the love of everything dog, please do
not do what you're told just because someone of authority advised it.
I did that when I got my dog, and I now deeply regret it. Research
everything you put in and on your animal, and definitely research
training techniques and troubleshooting with dog training. Some people
will say this is overkill or too much work. In my opinion, when you
are responsible for the health and condition of a living being, and
you also have a bond to build with a creature, all the work and
research that you put into how to care for and work with your animal
can only help.
Some people believe that the staff at the schools are experts, and
that they will tell you everything you need to know. The former is
only true depending on standard of measurement, and the ladder is
impossible. I have had very lengthy electronic arguments with these
so-called experts, primarily those in veterinary and training
departments. There are definitely things I was taught at school that I
have unlearned and no longer believe to be true or right.
I also feel that there was so much about dogs and dog training that
the school did not teach me. I'm not saying they left stuff out on
purpose, they obviously can't teach you everything, which is why
research is imperative.
3. Go to clickertraining.com, and read everything you can. There is
not enough time spent on clicker training in guide dog school, and
your clicker is quite a versatile tool when it comes to teaching and
fixing behaviors.
4. Do not ever go to the veterinarian for something as simple as an
outer ear infection; there are a great deal of home remedies. A 50/50
mix of apple cider vinegar and water, cold-pressed coconut oil, Young
Living's lavender essential oil, and Zymox without hydrocortozone are
just a few remedies that you can use independent of each other. The
oils also work on hot spots.

Other than that, you are about to embark on one of the most exciting
and frustrating journeys. Nothing is more exhilarating than smoothly
navigating the world with a guide dog, and nothing is more frustrating
than when you're in a time crunch or in front of a bunch of people,
and your dog does something inappropriate or will not listen to you.
It is easy to fall in love with these creatures, but it can be so hard
to learn to trust them. Give yourself time, and have an abundance of
patience for both your dog and yourself.
I hope this helps you in your transition, and wish you success in
training with your partner.
--
Raven
"if God didn't make it, don't eat it." - John B. Symes, D.V.M.