[nagdu] Hypothetical Situation

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 03:59:02 UTC 2014

I recently had a situation here with my guide Neechee and one of the rescue
dogs.Huskies play very roughly with each other.Both dogs are huskies.I was
very lucky that I was outside with the dogs when it happened.Neither dog is
aggressive,they just play rough.Tess got her lower jaw caught in
Neechee'smartingale collar and in trying to get loose,she twisted the
collar even
tighter.She could have broken her lower jaw and Neechee could have died of
strangulation if I were no there to rescue them.Neechee's collar was so
tight that I could no get my fingers in it to lead her to the house. I had
to grab her by the scruff and lead Tess by her collar from the far corner
of the yard, into the house where I tried to cut off the collar.Both dogs
were still struggling while I was trying to cut it. I grabbed the phone and
called a friend that lived 5 minutes away,but I finally got the collar cut
off by the time he arrived.We both checked the dogs over to see if they
were hurt in any way. Both were OK.This could have had a different outcome
and I could have lost my guide dog and Tess could have been injured
badly.These things do happen and this is not the first time I have dealt
with this type of situation.This time it was my guide dog, the last time it
was 2 rescue dogs.Again I was there to rescue them. I now keep a regular
leather collar on both dogs so the leather will hopefully break or get
chewed off if this happens again as these dog still are playing roughly.I
only use the martingale collar on Neechee when she is working.Her collar
was brand new one and I had to cut it.I am using an old one for now until I
can get her a new one.This was not a case of aggression but still,it could
have ended in the death of one dog and the jaw injury to the other one. It
had been several years since the other incident and thought it would not
happen again,but that is the reason I spend the time I do out with the dogs
when they go out. Much relieved dog mom, Mardi and Shaman and much relieved
Neechee!

--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/