[nagdu] mass cell tumors

Criminal Justice Major Extraordinaire orleans24 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 4 21:43:15 UTC 2014

Hi, all,
Since we've been having a discussion on mass cel tumors, I have read there are lots of breeds that can end up with them.
labradors, goldens, shepherds, Boston teriors,cocker spanniels and maybe some other breeds I'm not remembering off the top of my head.
I'm not sure which cancer is deadly anymore since my vet told me that the one Odie had was or could be deadly if not stopped on time.
His mass cell tumor to me, felt like the size of a baseball and each time I would groom him while doing his legs, I'd touch the warm, inflamed spot and would hear the squishy sound of fluid.
That was enough to make my stomach turn.
With the mass cell tumor if caught right away, there's a very, low, 2% chance of it coming back to resurface.
The mass cell tumor is also known for quickly spreading throughout the dog's body, but also sucking away the nutrients, vitals, and can attack wah faster to where there's no option but for the dog to be laid to rest.
The vet told me they were glad that the mass cell tumor wasn't in Odie's chest or near his heart or other vital organs.
That would have killed him right on the spot.
I'm thankful that each time I bathe or groom Odie, I'm always feeling his whole body for anything unknown that I may not be aware of.
Back when my late husband Dale was alive, he also did the same thing I did on top of using his partial vision.
Each day, we'd check Odie all over.
I will be doing some more research on the mass cell tumor as I'd like to know and read why it's considered and dangerous cancer and my hopes are to be able to pass along the info to other service dog handlers as well.
Bibi and MAR son Odie
who is cancer free