[nagdu] our efforts with zoos

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Mon Nov 10 23:49:33 UTC 2014

Aleeha, I copied and pasted the article in "the Braille Monitor to the
Seeing Eye list. I thought it was a wild discussion. Kind of let people put
their feelings out, and calm down as the animals will receive training to
ignore dogs as they ignore  screaming taunting kids. Well hopefully the zoos
will include such training. I used the example of a blind couple who both
have TSE dogs who want to take their three children to spend a day at the
zoo. Why would we deny this family this great opportunity to learn and have
an enjoyable day. Blind parents deserve the same opportunity as any other
parent or visitor to a zoo. It should be the parent's choice if they want a
docent or not. The zoo shouldn't follow us around like we are criminals.

Everyone on list by the way cared that the animals be safe. So somehow both
dogs and zoo animals have to feel safe. So if the zoo trainers can
desensitize animals to screaming taunting kids, aka, prey, they can
desensitize animals to quiet well-mannered service and guide dogs.

Thank you Marion and NAGDU for taking up this wonderful learning adventure
for the zoos.

Becky and his royal fluffiness