[nagdu] Coconut oil WAS Re: Ear Infections

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 16:56:25 UTC 2014

Hi Daryl,
The best coconut oil is virgin cold-pressed. I personally get
Bartlean's, but Nutiva and Nature's Way are good brands too. Amazon
and supersup both sell these brands and others.
As far as the doggie, I use coconut oil for the occasionally itchy
ears, to hydrate my dog's skin after a bath, soothing any skin
irritation, and for healing. I also give it as a treat every so often.
Really, you can use coconut oil for everything! Seriously. I have a
jar in the kitchen for cooking, and a jar in the bathroom for body
care.
There are some people in the NR community who feed their dogs coconut
oil on a daily basis. I personally would not do this, even if I fed
ki**le. Coconut oil is high in Omega-6. The standard diet for both
people and dogs is high in Omega-6 and low in Omega-3s. Omega-6 out of
check feeds inflammation, which is why many dogs and people are
suffering from cancer, allergies, ear infections, skin problems, and
so on. Though I suppose rawfeeders are safe feeding it because there
is omega-3s in the raw meat, more so in pastured meat than
non-pastured meats. But I find that pastured meat is already balanced
in Omegas.
If you need guidance picking out a fish oil, I can help you with that,
no problem. There are way too many choices out there. Back when I gave
fish oil, I just gave in and picked something. Not the right way to go
about this.
If you go fish oi, get a good krill oil or cod liver oil.

Below is an excerpt from an email from a fellow rawfeeder, about
picking out and giving fish oil.

Yes, a soy-free product.  Also known as tocopherols.  And no citrus
flavors, and not enteric coated.
You want a product that delivers at least 300mg total DHA and EPA per
gelcap  However, krill and wild caught salmon (if "wild" isn't on the
label, it's not wild) deliver less than 300mg per gelcap.  That's
okay, just know the typical mixed fish product is 300mg per gelcap, at
least.
The 100mg per 10lb of dog is the dose guideline, not a product descriptor.
A popular brand seems to be Country Life Super Omega 3, concentrated;
available from various online sources.
Also,I've seen NatureMade 720mg Fish Oil at Walmart, and erratically
at other stores.  But you have to read labels. Right now I'm finding
bottles expiring March 2017 to be soy-free.  Don't assume!
Jamieson is a good brand in Canada.
Wholistic Pet Organics is another good brand.

Any further questions, please ask. I am able to dig into the archives
of the rawfeeding groups, and have access to a wealth of information
on properly giving fish oil.
Hth.