[nagdu] petting guide dog question

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 22:16:20 UTC 2014

For the first two months I had my dog, I did not allow anyone to pet
him, no exceptions. Now, I do not allow anyone to pet him in harness
or while he is leash guiding. The only people I allow to pet him are
my parents and sisters, only if he is not working and sitting
relatively calmly. I have a very friendly lab/golden cross and I don't
want to make his job harder by allowing people to pet him in public.
He is very good about ignoring people calling his name or exclamations
of "doggy", "puppy", and comments of that nature. For the most part,
he ignores strangers, particularly children, but gets excited when he
sees people he knows well. I treat this like any other distraction and
redirect his attention so he once again focuses on his work.
Ultimately, it depends on each individual person and dog.

Danielle and Thai