[nagdu] Some people are assholes

Valerie Gibson valandkayla at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 19:52:57 UTC 2014

Hi,

I recently asked a friend about a situation like this.  It hasn't happened to me, but I am concerned about the "what if" sinerio.

What I'm going to do, and what it never hurts to do, is teach your dog to take food on command.  I mean any food, breakfast, snack, dinner, etc.

I've heard that guide dogs are taught this at school, but I believe it doesn't get reinforced by the handlers after a time, generally speaking.

Along these lines, practice with it.  This is easier to teach when your dog is hungry, but throughout the day, set aside some  breakfast to train this.

I am going to teach my dog that he can only take food when the "take it" command is issued.  Dogs can be taught to ignore food, and it will be a lot harder for those who's dog works for food as a primary motivator, unlike my dog, but it can be done.

When your dog knows the command to take food, practice with friends. Immitate a sinerio where your dog might be tempted to snatch some thrown food.

My thought is, you can't always control what people do, but you can control how your dog reacts.

In regards to the person.  I believe calling him an "ass hole" is a bit uncalled for.  This person, more than likely, thought that your dog must be hungry, given that he works all day, and probably thought he was doing your dog a favor.  Some dogs can take table scraps with no problem and this person probably feeds stray dogs or his own dogs table scraps.

With that being said:
Was this person right for feeding your dog?  absolutely not, but unless you had a "don't feed me" sign on him an ass hole is a bit harsh.  Yeah, people should know not to do this to a service dog. Maybe he knew and didn't care because he figured his imagining the dog to be hungry overrode what's proper for service dogs.

Again, I do, in no way, condone the guy's actions, and if I were in your situation, I would be very mad.  But what could I do?  I could yell at the guy for feeding my servie dog, go on a tyrade on how my dog has a malobsorption problem and how this is going to cost my a pretty big vet bill.

In this situation, I think explaining to the guy why guide dogs should not be fed certain things, and especially by strangers, is crucial to their job in helping you.  If the person insists that your dog is starving or tries to defend his point, again, explain that you're sorry he feels that way, but this is not his dog.

I had to tell someone that when he insisted that I was cruel for making my puppy work. "Can't you just give him a break and allow him to be a dog", was what I got.

I once knew of a person who purposefully tried to distract a guide dog by making hand motions to it and making soft noises to it, while it was walking with it's handler.  That, in my oppinion, would be an ass hole.

I know some people may find my approach too soft, but I try to understand where the person is coming from in regards to this sort of things.  My family is bad about feeding dogs table scraps, and they truely mean well. They love dogs.  But I have to keep telling them, you can't do this.  You can be a bit more abrupt with strangers and leave it at that though, but try to understand what the stranger sees, assuming the stranger is not familiar with guide dogs.

Well, just my thoughts.