[nagdu] Feeding dog during long day?

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 16:40:11 UTC 2014

On 10/10/14, Daryl Marie via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> jenny has been doing really well on the whole over the past few months, but
> I do have a quick question.
>
> She eats breakfast between 6:00-6:30 every morning, because I go to work by
> 7:30.  On days where we don't do anything after work, she is nearly flawless
> in her work, but if I have appointments after work, say after 6:00 PM, she
> just loses her head.
> She usually eats her dinner between 5:00-6:00 PM when we're home, or I have
> plans for the rest of an evening, though she has eaten later.  I have never
> been much of a schedule person, and Jenny doesn't seem to mind minor changes
> in routine in the evening... but if I am working out at the gym, she'll get
> her dinner when we get home at 7:00PM.
> I am wondering if it might be helpful and keep her focused to feed her
> before leaving my workouts... or would this likely confuse her? Is this just
> a quirk I have to live with?  If I feed her a partial meal, how "partial"
> should I feed her?
>
> Any advice would be appreciated!
>
> Daryl

> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/dsykora29%40gmail.com

Hi Daryl,

Of course all dogs are flexible; however, most dogs prefer to be on a
somewhat predictable schedule. If you feel that feeding Jenny after
your workouts helps her focus, I don't see any problem with this. I
usually feed my dog around 3:00 in the afternoon when I get home from
school. If I need to stay after school for a significant period of
time, I bring my dog's food with me.

Danielle and Thai