[nagdu] guide dog and musical life

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 22:11:55 UTC 2014

Hi Emily,

This is very good.  I am a classical singer pursuing a masters degree
in vocal performance.  I am now working my second dog, and both of my
dogs have had to get used to concerts, rehearsals, and endless
singing.  I'm still working with my second dog to get him calm and
still throughout long rehearsals.  It was never a problem for my first
dog.  All dogs are different, and some do better naturally in
rehearsal settings than others.

I used to leave my first dog across the room from me while I did
staging rehearsals, and she never had a problem with this.  But now it
is a struggle with my current guide.  I get what you meant about
listening for the jingle of the collar.  I gage what he's doing based
on the feel of him next to me though.  I promise that they do get
better with time, and you will get used to it.

I have never left my dogs by themselves while I did choir rehearsals,
but I am short and belong in the first row anyway.  Let me know if you
want any ideas/tips on how to keep them still during rehearsals.  I am
quickly becoming a master at this...  :)

--
Julie McGinnity
National Federation of the Blind performing arts division secretary,