[nagdu] Expectations of service dogs WAS How to Take Your PetEverywhere

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Fri Oct 17 03:29:13 UTC 2014

I think that what Vivianna  and what Daryl are talking about are two
different things. So how do you tell one from the other? I think that there
are three things to consider
1. Expectations: Does the dog know what is expected of him/her? Some dogs
know what is expected of them and will do it automatically, such as laying
down when their handlers sit down. Some other dogs know what is expected of
them but choose to misbehave, such as scavenging. Then there are dogs that
do not know what is expected of them, and it is the responsibility of the
handlers to give the directions. For example, whenever a handler sits down,
the dog should be told to lay down if the dog does not do it automatically.
2. Action: Does the handler do anything about it? In the two examples that
Vivianna gave, the handler did not do anything whereas Daryl did do
something. Regardless of whether a dog is misbehaving on purpose, a dog does
not know what is expected, or whatever else, it is the responsibility of the
handler to notice that there is a problem and then do something about it.
3. Response: Does the dog respond to the command, correction, redirection,
or what-have-you to try to remedy the problem? If not, then there is still a
problem. As the old saying goes, a is not for effort. In the second example
given by Vivianna, the dog did respond; however, this does not count as it
was not the handler who took action. Jenny did respond to Daryl.

What would I have done in each of these situations? For Daryl, I would have
done the same thing or something very similar. As for the dog who was
wandering around during dinner, I think that there are a couple of different
options. First, if it really bothers you and you would rather not go with
that person than go with that person and be bothered by the dog, then don't
go, and make this clear to them. If the person insists that you come, then
go, but, if the dog starts misbehaving, then just get up and leave or move
to another table; this should get the message across. If you don't know the
person that well and are not concerned about your friendship, then you could
tell the restaurant staff during or after the incident that they have the
right to ask that the person remove the dog.
As for the incident with the dog not knowing what to do, what I would have
done depends on a lot of things. You could contact the school and tell them
what happened. If you are comfortable talking to the person, you could try
that. Sometimes, when people get new dogs, they need a little reminding that
the new dog does not know everything that the old dog knew and need a little
extra guidance. Finally, if you knew that this was a recurring issue, you
could have done something more drastic like take the dog with you. If the
lady really cared about her dog, she would have gone looking for it.
JMHO, if you are going to have a guide dog, you have to be responsible for
it. You cannot just put a dog down and leave it alone. If the dog does not
know what to do or decides to not do what it is supposed to do, then you
have a problem.