[nagdu] FYI: akitas

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Sep 14 12:17:30 UTC 2014

Here are my thoughts.  I'm writing them as they come to me as I read the
article.

On biting...I think biting should be so far down the list of possible
reactions of a guide dog to a situation that it it barely registers.   I
just had this discussion with my Mom last week.  she thinks my dogs would
bite someone if they assaulted me.  Interestingly she has never met Jetta,
so I'm not sure how she came to that conclusion.  Monty would not bite.  I
am as sure as I can be about that.  I haven't had Jetta long enough to know
how she might react and we are still in the bonding stage, so her views
toward me are still changing.  I don't think she'd bite either.  Her
reaction to danger is to move away from it.   She will bark though, and oh
my lord, her bark is enough to scare the pee right out of you.  I think the
bark is where Dobermans get their reputation.

Jetta and Monty wrestle and play pretty rowdy on a regular basis.  they chew
on each others faces and neither of them is ever injured.   they both know
how much biting is acceptable in play and do not overstep it.   With toys
they are both careful of my hands when taking a toy, playing tug, etc.  I
have been grazed by the accidental tooth from time to time, but they
immediately realize their mistake and correct their behavior without me
saying anything.

On submissiveness...I think all guide dogs should be willing to take
direction and submit to the person's authority.  However I don't think guide
dogs have to be submissive.  It really depends on the owner.  If you have a
super soft handler, they are going to need a more submissive dog.  If you
have a handler who takes charge and can handle a fair bit of testing by the
dog, then a more dominant dog will be just fine.

On children,  I think all guide dogs should be tolerant of children.  I
don't think they necessarily have to like them though.  Monty doesn't like
little kids.  Probably because there have been little kids that weren't all
that nice to him.  He doesn't do anything bad around them though.  He just
keeps an eye on them and moves out of their reach.  I extremely rarely let
little kids interact with him and only if he shows that he's okay with them.
Older kids he does great with.  I teach at an after school program for 11-13
year olds and Monty goes with me to that. Jetta seems to like little kids,
but I have to watch her closely because she has a tendency to lick.

strangers...I think guide dogs absolutely, no hesitation, have to be
accepting of all strangers no matter what their appearance, color, use of
mobility devices, wearing hats, with beards etc.  I work in criminal justice
and there are a lot of people with odd behaviors, strange hair do's,   who
are nervous or overly animated...it doesn't matter, I have to have a dog who
will not react to any of it.

Confidence...a guide dog absolutely, positively has to be at ease in
unfamiliar situations.  this is perhaps the hallmark of good socialization.
Guide dogs have to be calm and collected to do their job properly and that
comes directly from the ability to be okay in new places.

Trainability...all dogs are trainable...yes, even Beagles!   You just have
to find the method that works best for that particular dog and give them
enough repetitions for it to stick.  that varies a lot from dog to dog, but
I have never met a dog who couldn't be trained.   How trainable a guide dog
needs to be  depends on the time and patience of the trainer.

Strange noises...ditto to strange people and strange situations.  I do think
a brief startle response is totally acceptable to a loud and unexpected
noise.  However how quickly the dog bounces back from that startle is
crucially important.  Ideally I want the startle and recovery to happen
extremely quickly, like 1 to 2 seconds.

On an independent  nature...I I guess I'm not sure about this one.  think it
might be difficult for this dog to be successful as a guide.  It is the
close bond with the person that is at the core of a good working team. I
suppose a dog who is mostly independent, but is still somehow bonded to his
person could work effectively as a guide.  I think this is the key reason
why certain breeds are used for guides and others are avoided.  There are
dogs within independent breeds that could work out, but the breed as a whole
is unlikely to do well as a guide dog. I think the breeds where the dog is
highly bonded to the person and looks to the person for direction are going
to be the best guides.

On protection...I do not think guide dogs should be protective in a physical
way.  I do think barking is acceptable in some circumstances.  I do think it
is acceptable for a guide dog to look at people intensely.   Monty gives
people what I call the death ray eyeballs.  they move, so he has learned
what works and uses it.   The herding breeds are known for their ability to
manage sheep through eye contact alone.  Why not use that skill in guiding?
anyway, I spoke about protection a bit above so I'll leave it at what I have
already said.

Acceptance of other dogs...I think a guide dog needs to be tolerant of other
dogs.  I expect my dogs to ignore other dogs while in harness.  Out of
harness I expect that they will either play, ignore or otherwise
appropriately interact with other dogs.  I do not allow interactions with
totally obnoxious dogs.   I don't expect my dogs to be best of friends with
every other dog on the planet, but I do expect that they will conduct
themselves in a respectable manner.

So there's my $2.02!
Julie