[nagdu] Why I decided not to owner train.

debby phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 14:58:40 UTC 2014

Vivianna, what a great message.  I think sometimes some people
think that it's kind of a status thing to owner train a dog.
(I'm not saying that anybody on this list thinks that).  But it's
possible.  Nobody should ever feel bad, guilty or whatever about
going to an established school and getting a dog.  It's not easy
going for training, either.  First of all, if you have a job, you
need to negotiate with your employer.  Some employers are great
and give Administrative Leave or whatever for getting a dog.  But
not all.  Sometimes people have to save their vacation time so
they can go, or go without pay.  Then there's the actual
training.  It means making arrangements for those at home-child
care sometimes, or elder care, if you are responsible for an
older parent who needs care.  On a personal level for me, it
meant being apart from my husband.  We miss each other when we're
part.  (Grin).

Then there's the training itself.  Depending on where you go, you
have two to four weeks away from home, adhering to a schedule
that isn't yours, sleeping in an unfamiliar bed, all of that.
There are the stresses of being in class with a group of
strangers.

The flip side to all of this is that time away from home and work
can be like a little vacation, meeting new people can be fun, and
friendships can be formed; relaxing and just bonding with the dog
and learning to know that dog being the first and foremost thing
to do every day can be a great thing.  But then there's coming
home away from the guidance and advice from your instructor, and
the support of classmates who are going through the same thing
you are.  The other thing about going through a school for
training is that there is some support once you leave, again
depending on the school.

Well, I need to go hit the shower so Neena and I can walk to
church this morning.  Take care you all.  Whether you have an
owner trained or dog from a school, happy trails!    Debby and
Neena the Golden