[nagdu] Length of Training (was: Why I decided not to owner train.)

debby phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 03:36:06 UTC 2014

They begin by learning how to walk in front, not heeling.  They
get accustomed to the harness, they begin to learn about stopping
for curbs and steps, because the instructor fakes like they are
falling, and makes a lot of fuss.  Then they teach them to hup up
to the curb, gradually introducing more and more things to the
training.  Toward the end, all the dogs go to New York City.
Neena was there with her puppy raisers and she was also there
with her trainer.  She likes it, but I can tell she wouldn't want
to live there.  She was ready to go when we left.  I could tell
that she was tired, because her enthusiasm was waning.  I asked
Joy if that was correct and she said that yes, it was.  Neena
would do okay in New York City for brief times-like a morning or
an afternoon or whatever, but she would not thrive living there.
Some dogs, she said did really thrive on being in NYC.  I'm glad
that we had that experience, but I doubt that I'll be living in
New York City ever.  I'm a West Coaster at heart.  Sorry,
probably more than you wanted to know.  (Grin).    Peace,
Debby and Neena