[nagdu] Hello

blind springbok blind.springbok at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 05:39:33 UTC 2015

Hi Elice and Becky,
thanks so much for saying hi.  Whereabouts are you based in the UK?
Yes it took me about 11/12 years before I too felt settled enough to make the application for a dog.
I lost my sight in South Africa and I did know about guide dogs and had always wanted one but it took coming to the UK 15 years ago for me to finally make up my mind to get one.  Now I have no family in the UK so over the 18 years I've had to learn to cope and live on my own as a blind woman and it's been an eye opener to say the least.  hahaha
I thought I was free and independent with my cane.  Boy was I wrong! It was only once I got Thomas that I finally realised what freedom and independence are all about.  This is one of the biggest reasons why I do so much for guide dogs on a voluntary basis.  This continues and will do so even when I'm finally moved to Belfast, Northern Ireland where the guide dogs family over there is far more of a family, I feel, than in the rest of the UK.
Anyway so glad to have met you and little Becky. What kind of dog is she?
Big woofs from Thomas to her and take care.
Cheers
Diane and Thomas Marks