[nagdu] Naming names

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 24 13:53:14 UTC 2015

Hi Julie:

I have always wondered the same thing.  People seem like they are afraid to
say anything negative about the guide dog schools.  We've all heard of dogs
who probably shouldn't have been sent out but the graduates never complain
about it.  How can we expect the schools to change if we don't speak out
when something is wrong.  A perfect example is my previous dog Tara, a
female golden.  GDF sent her out even though the vet noticed a defect in her
right hip.  That defect soon led to hip dysplasia.  I spent the next six
years with a dog who walked very slow and would often not be able to
complete longer routes.  I spent a fortune for medications and laser
treatments on her hips.  The ultimate insult is that GDF refused to replace
her.  When I applied, I was told that although I was a current grad and had
worked Tara for six years, there was no guaranty I would be accepted for a
new dog.  Where is the loyalty to current grads?If a school cannot even be
loyal to one of their own graduates, then what good are they?  We have to
start fighting back or else these schools will never change their unfair
practices.

Sandra and Eva