[nagdu] differences between service dogs and pets

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Feb 25 18:51:09 UTC 2015

I've had pets all my life.  I've had guide dogs for 35 years.  I still remember, when I got my first guide dog, that it was something of a strain to have the dog with me pretty much 24/7.  Now I take it for granted, but back then, I did not.
Also, unlike a pet, the dog is out and about with me, and has to be considered.  Is he in a safe place?  Is he trying to eat something he shouldn't?  Is he telling me something, or is he goofing off?  All these things took some getting used to, a lot more with my first dog, but still some.  I have to be aware of him and what he's up to, and I have to work out how to communicate with him and listen to him more than I ever did with a pet.
Tracy