[nagdu] differences between service dogs and pets

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Wed Feb 25 19:34:43 UTC 2015

I wouldn’t say that. Our pet dog doesn’t get table scraps…umm, except that Melanie sometimes gives her potato chips. Me, never.

I’d say the primary difference is behavior expectation. A service dog that you will be taking into public places has to behave well in public. It’s nice if pet dogs have that level of behavior, but since mostly they’re at home, I think the attention to detail as far as expected behavior. A pet’s behavior expectations aren’t generally as strict, simply because they don’t have to be. That may mean different things to different people i guess, but to me, it just means that my dog has to be under control in the areas it is expected to be in. For pets, that’s mostly at home, at the vet, etc., whereas a service dog is expected to maintain more people-friendly behaviors in more kinds of places, especially where people aren’t necessarily dog friendly.

—
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: 814-860-3194
Mobile: 814-431-0962