[nagdu] differences between service dogs and pets

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Feb 25 20:08:01 UTC 2015

My pets have always been at a pretty high level of obedience/manners, at
least since I was the one training them, excepting the one insane Beagle you
guys have heard horror stories about.  For me the main difference between my
dogs who have been guides is the time commitment.  I spend more time
grooming, on practice, on reinforcing skills and I go out when I have no
errands or reason to go anywhere, but to ensure the dog gets to work.

My guides have been more expensive, but that is because I owner trained
them.  I suspect the cost would have been about the same had I chosen a
program.  I can't really say my pet dogs, when I've been an adult, have had
any lower behavior expectations than my guides.   I was one of those people
who took my dogs to friends homes, to the park, to the pet store, to the
city fireworks display, to just about every place a dog could go.  My
Springer Spaniel even went with me for my senior pictures.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC
Visit my new website on developing courage and living authentically:
http://www.falling-up.com